~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Friday, June 13, 2008

An intro to my history in quilting

I began my quilting journey about 5 years ago, inspired by a former coworker. I started with a beginners kit that included rulers, a small cutting mat, rotary cutter and 4 easy quilt patterns. The patterns were easy to follow so I chose one and made a lap quilt - a 3 rectangle block set 4 blocks to make a sort of windmill. With my antiques background, I decided (at that time) that a good quilt had to be hand pieced and hand quilted.

I ironed, and cut, cut and ironed using mostly remnant pieces of fabric and inexpensive fabrics just incase I didn't enjoy this new craft...little was ventured. I didn't know what I was doing, except for what those directions told me to do.

I did enjoy being able to do something with my hands while watching tv (besides eating oreos-a fave pasttime). I pieced & pieced. My hands started to hurt. I pieced some more. My hands kept getting worse. Finally the top was together! So, I set out to sandwich it up & start to quilt it. I chose a simple, in the ditch, quilting. My hands were becoming growingly painful. I kept quilting. I was determined to get it done. I had worked on this quilt every night after work for 3 or 4 hours. I worked through the pain. I couldn't turn a handle or start my car "like normal" due to the pain in the "ball of my hands", but I was like a woman possessed.

So, when it was done, I draped it over the sofa and stood back. Ready to be at once proud & amazed with myself. But, alas, this was not the case. The colors I chose really made the blades of the windmill stand out TOOO much and to this day I still look at it with fond memories of my accomplishment, and a little dismay that I continued to quilt when that quilt was done.

I did make a very important decision when the quilt was complete. There is no shame in using a sewing machine! Its better to be able to turn a door knob or start your car than to boast that the quilt is hand pieced.

1 comment:

RagamuffinQuilts said...

Great story! Thanks for sharing. :D

Labels