~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Where has the year gone? Its already time for the "sale"

I live in the "home of the 127 corridor sale". around here, "the World's Longest Yard Sale" is just known as "the sale". If you are an HGTV junkie like I used to be when they had craft shows, you have probably seen the annual specials.

If you don't want to follow those links, I'll just tell you about it. The yard sale runs from Defiance, Ohio to Gadsden, Alabama...600+ miles. "The sale" officially lasts 4 days, beginning on the 1st Thursday of each August lasting through Sunday. I say officially, because the sellers start setting up their tents, tables and wares on the Monday (or earlier) before the official start date. Sellers then have time to be buyers!

I will also remind you that most of "the sale" is in the "Bible Belt". Don't be amazed that there are less sellers on Sunday...we are somewhere more important that morning. You will find some, but it will be much more hit & miss. I say that though to say this...those folks that pack it in on Saturday may be in a better mood to negotiate late on Saturday...and those on Sunday will be on Sunday afternoon. I've never met a person that enjoyed setting up or packing up the leftovers of a yard sale in my life. BUT, be reasonable...If I could count the number of times I was asked if I would take less for an item I am selling for a dime, you would be amazed...come on...its a dime!

If it was once purchased new, you can probably find it somewhere along the US Highway 127 between August 2nd & 10th. If you roll through Jamestown TN, stop by & see us & let me know you heard it here!

5 comments:

love2ragquilt said...

The sale sounds like so much fun but unfortunately too far for me to travel. Good luck with it.

RagamuffinQuilts said...

Sounds like a fun sale! It's a drive for me but maybe next year.

kimbuktu said...

What a really cool idea! I wouldn't mind having a yard sale with a bunch of others like that. Sure to get traffic, and not so boring. Our neighborhood used to do that, but haven't for a few years.

Jabaro said...

I know I'd love to go but I know my husband would not. Perhaps next year I'll plan a road trip with some girl friends. First Thurs in August, got it!

Pamela said...

Sounds like fun. I hate having garage sales, myself, but love looking. I totally get what you're saying about the "bargain" hunters! So many times I've given things away for a song because I got tired of dickering!

Labels