~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Friday, October 17, 2008

Fiber Friday~Upcycling

So, this is an opinion post for Fiber Friday.


I have heard various opinions on recycling fabrics. One school of thought is that it is gross to turn no longer worn clothes into a new usable item. Another is that it is cool (I suppose those are the most blunt words)

Well, I guess am in the non-gross, cool to reuse group.





I have saved countless jeans (and I mean in the hundreds of pairs) from the landfill. Cutting them up & making usable quilt squares and rag quilts. I have made true friends from my denim square customers from eBay. So the value of the act is more than just the newly reclaimed fabric.



I also incorporate fabric from flannel shirts, khaki pants, tablecloths, chenille bedspreads, upholstery and even old T-Shirts into new fiber works of art. To me it is anyway. It can be a way to show rememberance, incorporating a loved ones items into a quilt, like your child's t-shirts into a quilt for college.



see the pocket?

This one is khakis on the back

I have also used old antique quilt tops & quilts to make new items. I used a quilt top that was rows of diamonds, pieced into large triangles. I used each row to make quilted window valances. I have a good friend that uses old cutter quilts to make primitive looking Santas (gorgeous-I have to get a picture for you all).

So I am a firm believer of not throwing things away. and if you saw my eclectic stash, you would believe me. I try to pass on the recycle/upcycle to those that embrace it. I have already exhausted all my denim stash from summer yard sales. BUT I will continue to offer my crazy pieced denim blocks forever (most likely, since I have such a collection of scraps). Here's the back of a rag quilt I made using them.

5 comments:

Mountain Home Quilts said...

WOW! I LOVE that blue/tan/plaid rag quilt!!!!!! That is soooo cute! Great job on it!

Mountain Home Quilts said...

Oh, and I too am one of the "non-gross" people. I guess if you were getting the clothes/fabric out of a dumpster and not washing it, then I'd say GROSS. But you're not, so it's a great way to re-use items no longer in use! :)

FabricsNQuilts said...

yes, washing & oxy clean are extremely important. Plus all rag quilts are washed again after they are sewn to start the fraying ;)

Thanks for the compliments! Means a lot coming from a talented quilter like you!

Ashlawnfarms Rag Quilt Creations said...

I vote for upcycling. I am a non-gross person as well. There are some pretty cool things out there to craft and quilt with....why spend more money? Great idea!

Leah said...

I think that it's VERY cool! I have a cupboard full of my boys little jeans flannelette, shirts and PJs. They will make a treasured keepsake one day!

Labels