~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Have you done the math?

Spurred on by a series of events today, I did a little eBay math....proceed with caution....this is scary!

For the types of items I sell, ebay takes, on average 15%. And that does not include paypal.

for a fixed price listing of any kind, the fee charged when the item is purchased is 12%. Add this to the price to list the item & the monthly store fee....

For an auction, it is not much better. The listing fee is between 5-10%. This, when successful, is accompanied by an 8.75% final fee. So there we are back up over 15% again.

So, just like all things that trickle down, I hope those that buy on eBay realize they are paying up to 20% more for what they want than if they shopped elsewhere, like etsy.

I raise this to 20% because you also have to understand sellers pay eBay's sister company, Paypal, another 4-5% of the TOTAL (including shipping) amount received from every buyer.

So, shop around....I will be spending more time on etsy I think....shopping & promoting.

eBay's only saving grace is that it has built up a membership base through past years of marketing & promotion. eBay's problem is that it doesn't seem to realize....if the sellers leave because 20% is just TOO MUCH to give to anyone...where does that leave them. If there is nothing to buy...

4 comments:

RagamuffinQuilts said...

OMG! I have been distracted lately and thought the fees were higher but didn't do the math myself. Looks like I'll be doing more business on Etsy too. We, as sellers, will be able to pass the savings onto our customers.

Let's promote the heck outta Etsy!!! :D

FabricsNQuilts said...

rah rah...goooOOOOOO Etsy!

ok...I need a nap...

Ashlawnfarms Rag Quilt Creations said...

Amen Sister!

Mountain Home Quilts said...

Holy cow!! I'm glad I don't sell there! I can see why you'd be thinking of leaving!!

Labels