~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Friday, December 19, 2008

Fiber Friday~Scraps to Heirlooms

My usual blog readers know that my scrap boxES have been overflowing and that I vowed around Halloween to not cut fabric off the bolt or use new fabric for any projects the rest of the calendar year. So far, I have done very well, only pulling new fabric for quilt backing. The rest of the fabric has come from my stash & scrap bins. I am wrapping up project #3 now and hope to have it to show in the coming week.
In this vein, this Fiber Friday we are going to look at scraps.

I don't know if I could add anything of consequence that is not mentioned in this wonderful website, but I will try.



First, I know the scrappy look is not for everyone. I like it because it is nostalic to me. Looking back at quilting as a way to warm the family, nothing went to waste and scrap quilts were born of that necessity to stay warm. This quilt is courtesy of the article linked above.



Personally, I think most quilters WANT to use their scraps but are somewhat intimidated at the task. If your scrap "bin" is like mine, I understand your plight. Once upon a time, I divided the stash to separate out all the flannel and then to take the remaining cotton & separate by color family. So that was a big pat on the back for me, but it didn't lead to anything except organized boxes.

I really like the idea presented in the article above about trimming your scraps before you bin them. I like the idea, but I don't know if it is practical for me. When I am cutting out a project, I don't really think I will take the extra time to cut the scraps down for a project that may be one day. I need to come to terms with this. Plus there is the issue of the current pile to get trimmed....daunting to say the least!

So, I would love to see your tips and your fave webstites for organization, scrap quilt, scrap buster patterns. For me, when quilt #3 is done, I think I will do one more top before year end from the bins. I am already planning my reward quilt; the one I will do after the first of the year to congratulate myself on a fall of using what I had on hand.

10 comments:

BizzieLizzie said...

OMG - That quilt is absolutely stunning! Love it!!

quiltnmama said...

FnQ that quilt is beeuteeful LOL
I have made a new years resolution to do the same. My scrapes are consuming me

Enzie Shahmiri said...

I always have been in awe of people who can create quilts!

Dale Anne Potter said...

YES, isn't Bonnie's site wonderful for scrappy quilt ideas!!!

RagamuffinQuilts said...

I love the scrappy look myself but like you mentioned, I am intimidated at even the thought of creating one.

Mind you, I HAVE the thoughts, just need to put the thoughts in motion.

Maybe 2009 will bring me the will power to make one for my family.

Jackie said...

I love your quilt!

I'm a new quilter and am trying to come up with some type of scrap system; most like some type of Bonnie Hunter version. I agree with you that it's possibly not realistic to cut down scraps while your cutting for your quilt. I think what I'm going to try and do is cut down scraps at the end of a project. Notice the word "try"! I may end up with a big pile of uncut scraps but it's a sure thing if I don't try something! Would love to hear what you figure out!

FabricsNQuilts said...

Thanks all for your comments. I just want to reiterate that the quilt pic'd is from the linked quiltville.com article that I hope you check out. It is wonderful & the inspiration for my post.

Happy Scrappin'!

krissybizz said...

I've been reading Bonnies site for years....she's amazing! I don't know how she does all that she does. I learned not long after I started quilting (1991) that I'm a scrappy quilter...any other way is too boring for me. I also have a system that I came up with myself, but its a lot like Bonnies. My favorite thing about scrappy quilts is that you can buy almost any fabric you like, in small amounts, and you can always use them in almost any scrap quilt.

FabricsNQuilts said...

That is a great point krissybizz. Also great for those who love you to know too :) FQ's are a great present!

nanatee said...

Okay bear with me, I really don't know if I am doing all this blog stufff right..
I love your quilt, most of my quilting is scrappy,, I have a web site or blog, and I am working on loading pics

Labels