~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Monday, December 29, 2008

Quilt as you go...so many options

I would LOVE a long arm machine. But until that dream comes true, I will be quilting by hand or with my regular sewing machine. It is more than difficult for me to quilt a large lap quilt (or bigger) with my sewing machine, so I have been seeking out quilt-as-you-go methods for the past year.

Of course, there is rag quilting. this is a great solution that will give a great usable quilt that begs for repeated washings. Here is a great tutorial from the old Simply Quilts show. It is a great jumping off point for your creativity.

Next, I have become intrigued with Divide & Conquer by Nancy Smith & Lynda Milligan. Here again is a link from the Simply Quilts show. I have the book & it is much easier to follow. I have used 1 of the methods in the book already & the second method is also on my radar.

I have also used an add a strip method like in this project that was a great way to practice free motion quilting. Nothing like developing 2 skills at once! This is a great method for making a reversible quilt with different interest on each side...like one side spring & the other fall tones!

Do you have a favorite to share?

2 comments:

RagamuffinQuilts said...

There sure are lots of options. I am going to try one myself, it calls for a thin "sashing" or binding, if you will, between each block that covers the raw edges of each block and pulls it all close together. It gives the front and back a grid look but it sounds so much easier to get creative with the quilting. Like you, I would LOVE a long arm but it's not in my near future.

For Quilts Sake said...

I've been wanting to try the quilt as you go method and I got the book "Reversible Quilts" by Sharon Pederson. I plan on trying some of the techniques she writes about this winter.

Labels