~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Thursday Tips~Scrappy Floating Stars

I am nearly finished with my Twin sized Scrappy Floating Stars quilt and have a tip to share with you if you decide to try this one.

It took me a while to SEE the stars in this one, so by the time I did, it was too late to make a change to my layout. Here I circled the star (which is now so totally obvious to me). I already had the borders on I was just not going backward at that point.


The stars kinda fall in a diagonal fashion. You will see from this pic from the pattern, that the outside blocks do not form a complete star. If you make this quilt, I would suggest doing half blocks on the perimeter so that your stars are fully formed across the entire quilt.



Another tip for this project!

When you are working step 2, go ahead & sew another seam to join the corners you will cut away. Now instead of 2 triangles to add to your stash, you have a square. From my twin quilt, I ended up with over 200 of these jems and no bias edge sewing necessary. I debated using them in my border, but decided to save for another project (yet to be decided).

4 comments:

RagamuffinQuilts said...

Neat pattern! Can't wait to see your finished quilt!

kimbuktu said...

Nice and simple and stunning!

Karen said...

Very pretty. I love scrappy.

FabricsNQuilts said...

Here is a finished project I found on another quilter's blog. See how she used a 1/2 block around the edge to finish off each star...

http://snippetsofaquilter.blogspot.com/2008/12/little-quilt-and-gifts.html

Labels