~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Sewing Sunday~YoYo Quilt Progress



Here it is, my much discussed square yoyo quilt in progress. The throw is about 1/2 done. I started this quilt in late summer and didn't start working on it in earnest until fall. This pattern is from Georgia Bonesteel's Easy Does It Quilts. She calls the pattern McAllistair McPuff...that is a goofy name, so I came up with square yoyo, which is just as goofy, since who has ever seen a square yoyo?

Using a template, each 11" square was scissor cut and stitched into the puff pockets by machine. I decided that having varying amount of stuffing in each little pillow would give the quilt more interest, so that is what I did!
After stuffing each with polyfill & even some poly batting scraps (YAY! Stashbusting!) I cinched up each puff by hand & took a couple stitches though the back to quilt each puff with a little dimple on the back (my pattern variation).

The pattern of the lights & darks will make a swirl from the center out when the quilt is finished.

I would love to say this was a scrap-buster project for me, but alas, not many of my scraps are 11" square.

I was able to get 4 squares from each 11" wide strip of fabric, so even though it is not a charm-style quilt with no fabric repeats, I was able to get that effect with strategic placement of the puffs.

My design wall was invaluable in this process of placement and in making sure I sewed the puffs in the right order. Since the puffs were attached to each other by hand, I did this infront of the TV in the evenings. I pinned numbers in order to the blocks as I took down one or two rows at a time, so as to get them sewn together right the first time.

Well, there she is, a little more than 1/2 way done, but I really enjoy working this project, so I think it will be done sooner rather later!

3 comments:

Karen said...

Love the square yoyo quilt! I had read that yoyo's could be square, oval, heart shaped and round. I sure do love the look of the square one. I received a round Clover yoyo maker for Christmas. Can't wait to try it. Yoyo's are so cute!

Grandma Barbara said...

You continue to come up with the most amazing quilts! Thanks for the inspiration!!

RagamuffinQuilts said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I love the look of the square yoyo's. All handstitched together, you have the patience of a Saint!

Can't wait to see the final pics!

Labels