~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Thursday, April 30, 2009

2009 Projects ~ #27 American Legion Charity Reversible Quilt

Here I am again, giddy with accomplishment! I get the most unique feeling when I finish a bed sized traditional quilt. It is just too hard to explain.

A few months ago, I made an online appeal for red/white or blue/white nine patches to incorporate into a quilt for my local American Legion post that is building a new facility. They currently meet in a courtroom, restaurant, or other public place.
I think it is important for all Americans to show pride and honor to all veterans. Their selfless service is what our lives are built upon. Stop to consider how different your life would be if no one had defended our country 60 years ago or 8 years ago when it was attacked.
So, I wanted to do something, though it be small in comparison, to show my appreciation and to give the Legion something to earn funds. I was blessed to receive donations from a few special friends from Texas and California.
As you can see in the pictures, the quilt is a queen size and is reversible. Though the layout is simple, the quilt really pops from the varigated red white & blue thread. I loved working with this thread & highly recommend it (YLI long staple Egyptian Cotton).
I am off now to call the gentleman to come pick it up. Thank you all for reading, and for helping me make this become reality


11 comments:

RagamuffinQuilts said...

I have to give you a standing "O" for this one! You did a wonderful job, as always, but you also did a selfless act in making this beautiful quilt for your local American Legion. I am certain they will be able to raise lots of money on this treasure! Be proud....you did good, my friend. :-)

Bebesboutique said...

OMG Shannon You OUT did yourself with this quilt! It is really a work of art. I love the machine quilting done with the variegated thread. It adds so much more dimension and texture. Putting the flag on the back is a very nice added touch. I hope that the American Legion can make some good money with your gift of time, creativity and talent! I am standing with RagamuffinQuilts doing a Standing O!

Ilena said...

Absolutely beautiful ~ what an accomplishment!

Tiffany said...

It turned out beautiful! Well done.

Grandma Barbara said...

What can I say but WOW!!!

Mountain Home Quilts said...

Shannon, this quilt it just stunning- waht a fabulous job you did on it!! There will be one lucky person taking this beauty home! :)

love2ragquilt said...

It is beautiful. You did a fantastic job. The machine quilting really sets it off. I like the idea of the flag on the back. The American Legion should raise a lot of money with it.

sewmeow said...

WOW! Hurray 4 U! I SALUTE YOU!! Outstanding job and that was A HUGE job by doing the stippling quilting!
TERRIFIC....our fearless leader!

quiltsbylee said...

Wow is the word of the day. I am so in awe of your quilting skills.

FabricsNQuilts said...

Thank you all so much. You are too kind and I am so blessed & appreciative to have such a great support network!

Miri said...

Wonderful! This quilt is beautiful on both sides! Bless you!

Labels