~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Friday, May 29, 2009

Green & White String Blocks


A friend's church is making prayer quilts for those in need in the parish. I got a feeling that the list was long, so dug into the stash to see what I could come up with.


They are making lap quilts, so I figured some big blocks would make this go quickly, and it did. I have 15 blocks done that alternate a white/off-white with a green fabric.

Tomorrow is our Sit N Sew, so our little group can decide on the layout, then I can finish the top during & event & send the quilt home with my friend. This is just one idea to ponder...

For those who have not heard of prayer quilts, the way I am familiar with is this:

  • layer a quilt backing, batting & quilt top
  • baste as usual (usually with pins)
  • using 3 strands of embroidery floss, loop the floss through the layers, leaving hanging ends on the quilt top side. but do not tie
  • after the entire quilt has been "looped", remove all basting pins.
  • the quilt is laid out and each of the quilter's says a prayer as they tie one of the knots (from all those loops they made). The quilt will be quilted by all the tied knots.
  • then the quilt is either left in the church for others in the parish to tie a knot & say a prayer, or presented to the family to finish the ties/knots/prayers.

7 comments:

RagamuffinQuilts said...

Great blocks for such a wonderful gift. We all have neighbors across this great country of ours that are in need of something. I'm sure each of the quilts made will be well received and cherished and used on those cold TN winter nights.

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Really cool blocks! Sounds like a great stash buster.

Magnolia Bay Quilts said...

Very nice blocks! And the prayer quilt is such a nice idea.

laura west kong said...

Very pretty ... I love the greens. I just finished a prayer quilt myself.

quiltsbylee said...

Ok, I guess I am a dummy. Exactly where do you put the threads. I understand that the loose ends are on top but not sure where they are all put. Can't ya tell that I do raggies most of the time...lol

FabricsNQuilts said...

The ties can be placed at any interval that the quilter's like. Each batting will differ, but most recommend quilting within 3-4" so I would recommend ties at that interval at least. Hope that helps :)

quiltsbylee said...

Now it makes sense. Thanks!

Labels