~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Sewing Saturday & Sunday


I am playing with a new quilting technique that I didn't even realize I had the ability to do! Isn't it wonderful when you find out you have options you didn't even know you had?!

I found some awesome large stipple designs online and it hit me that I could, with great patience, quilt a lap quilt, one hoop at a time using my embroidery machine. Now, the hoop-full only takes 6 minutes to quilt, but the loading & unloading from the machine and the re-hooping takes 2 or 3 times that long. But, I really like the look.


I made a scrappy version of a disappearing 9 patch from Fig & Plum charm packs (designed by Joanna Figeroa of Fig Tree & Co for Moda) and had yardage from a previous Fig Tree collection, Folklorique that I used for one of the borders & the backing.

So, that's what I am up to, one hoop at a time! Well that and a few other projects. Does anyone ever work on just one project at a time?

5 comments:

Mountain Home Quilts said...

Wow- that is awesome!! I love when you figure things out like that. Your quilt looks great. And I seriously doubt that any quilter ever only has 1 project going at a time! :)

TiLT said...

you can work on one project at a time? are you sure that's in the rulebook? 'cuz I don't think it's possible :P

sewmeow said...

That is great! What kind of thread are you using??? and in the bobbin too??

Thanks for sharing and inspiring me again!

FabricsNQuilts said...

LOL @ the Rulebook :)

I am using a varigated thread by Maxilock top & bottom :)

I decided it would be easier to stipple myself in between the "hoopfuls" than try to line it up so, there will be a little manual stippling mixed in, but I had to get my hand in there somewhere!

love2ragquilt said...

I really like it. Looks like it was done by a professional machine quilter. Did you download the design?

Labels