~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Last of the Dead Rat

What...Dead Rat!?

Yes, my business is located in a locally famous old bar, The Dead Rat. This was not a place to take the wife for a nice evening of dance & wine...no, it was just what you imagine it to have been, rowdy, raucus, wild.

So, needless to say it has been fun to be in such a local landmark.

"Where is your business located?" to which I would answer "In the old Dead Rat"...and everyone knew exactly where I was. This came in handy when I had to report a shop lifter once. I gave directions, landmarks, the address, everything to the dispatcher. To which she said, "Hon, I just don't know where that is." To which I replied, "I'm in the old Dead Rat".

You get the point.

So, this is the last of the landmark that remains. The Bar. It will meet its demise later this week. as I can come up with no way to utilize it in my new setup. I will place the classroom tables in this spot.

Soon, folks will know us as "the quilt shop" or fabric shop in town, and as with most things, the Dead Rat memories will fade with the generation that darkened it's doors. It is a little sad to remove that last part of the bar, even though I was never here. But, time marches on!

4 comments:

RagamuffinQuilts said...

Interesting history behind what used to be in what is now your warm & cozy quilt shop. :-) The tables have turned, so to speak. Now the wives will be venturing in without their husbands.

sewmeow said...

Great story! And hope you can find a special buyer for the old bar! Good luck with your new quilt shop!

Julie said...

I am so jealous that you are in an old building with such history. Some day I hope to be too -- and I have just the one picked out. Hope it remains empty and unused until then.

Ashlawnfarms Rag Quilt Creations said...

How long has the Old Dead Rat been dead?....er how long has the new place been there for you guys? Great history! Very unique!

Labels