~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Sunday, April 25, 2010

A day in dye

This day has been too long in the making, but I am totally stoked with the results so far!

So, here are a few pics of my day as it progressed…

First I set out with the natural dyes, tea, coffee & dandelions.  We had red zinger & Orange (something or other) tea, so I made 3 separate teas.  This fabric is still soaking, so more on it later.

I dyed mostly fat quarters of Bella Solids in white by Moda.  I used the fabric that was PFD (prepared for dyeing) so that I didn’t have to prewash…one less thing.

I am still soaking the coffee dyed fabric too, since I did this one in stages.  The first soak looked like this when done & ironed

DSCN3406When I put it in to soak, I folded it (versus scrunch) that’s why is has the linear marks.  I also put a few grounds in the fabric folds which added nice marbling.  After it was pressed, I spritzed some black dye and then put more grounds on the fabric & put it back in the soak.  I think this one is going to look awesome.

I liked the dandelion effect too, on the first run, but wanted more, so it is back in the soak too.

All this talk & only 1 pic so far!  not fair…get to the point!

Ok, so now on to the chemical dye.  This was easier than I thought it would be, but requires lots of little containers for all the different colors & shades of those colors.  Hey, who expected this to look organized?

DSCN3399 DSCN3400there is a little cleaned off area there :)

So, like I said, mostly I did fat quarters, but I did do one example of over-dyeing (you will have to wait for this too) and 1 half yard.

Here it is at step, I dunno, let’s just say 1

DSCN3401But then I folded it & put it in a pale yellow soak…see it in the last pic with all my other goodies

DSCN3411   

The pastel on the far right was my wipe up cloth, aka, a new tshirt.  I might just like it best!

It’s still all on the line, so you’ll get better pics later in the week.  If you have questions or tips about dyeing…I’m all ears and so are the followers of this blog!

3 comments:

RagamuffinQuilts said...

Oh how cool & fun too! I love to get messy and see what happens. :-) Yay for the new t-shirt too!

Sam said...

I do my dyeing out on the lawn, too. Often I use the grass as a texturing tool and add whatever sticks and leaves the big ash tree tosses. Spray bottles help get a lovely mottled effect. Nice to see your work, I want to see how the coffee turns out, I don't seem to have much luck with it.

Grandma Barbara said...

What a totally cool way to spend the day. I love all your creations, but I, too, really dig the tshirt!!! If I did this I would certainly need to work outside or have tie-dyed cats!! lol Can't wait to see more pics.

Labels