~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

My NO SEW Basket

Huge kudos to Rachel Griffith at p.s., I quilt for her awesome Fabric Candy Bowl “recipe” on the moda bake shop blog.

That inspired me to make this basket. I used an older collection from moda, London Lawns II for the basket liner & handles and a Michael Miller Print “Paris” for the basket exterior. (So maybe this is my euro-no sew basket?)

DSCN3342DSCN3343

Of course, I had to wander off the straight path Rachel set for us in her directions, but I like the result and with a little more tweaking, I think I will get the handle just like I want it.

My variations:

Since I wanted to make a basket that could be used to hold a little weight, I added a layer of stiff stabilizer between the strip & solid fabric layer. You can beat this thing like a drum now.

Second, of course I added the handle. I just knotted the 3 strands of the braid with strips from the bowl.

DSCN3344

Last, I turned the edge under. This required a second glue day & I used clothes pins to keep the edge turned while the sun did the hard work.

DSCN3345

Thanks for the inspiration, Rachel! My customers can now shop & be inspired all at the same time!

DSCN3341

3 comments:

rachel griffith said...

oh. my. goodness.
awesome job.

sewmeow said...

That is really cute! Great idea.

fabricartist21 said...

Love this and I just might make one for my sewing room and kitchen!!

Labels