Friday, September 3, 2010

It’s almost fall, y’all!

Inspired by the GO! Fall shapes applique die, I am working on a new table runner for our front counter.

I change out our runner with every season (or whim) and after Labor Day it will be time to put summer to rest & get ready for fall.

I started by pressing Wonder Under paper backed fusible web to 5.5” strips of fabric in awesome fall colors. (this is the wrong side of the fabric with wonder under attached, after I cut the pumpkin)

DSCN3795

I use a sharpie marker & outline the shapes on the die.  Helps really see where to lay your fabric and reduce waste.

DSCN3794

Then, using the Fall Shapes die, I cut 2 layers at a time.  I used the pumpkin color fabric exclusively for the pumpkins & any scraps big enough for a few acorn bases & caps.

I used the green & red for both leaves & acorns.

Now I am scattering them around on a Thimbleberries fabric that picks up all three colors, but has a rich black background.

DSCN3799

Once the scatter is just RIGHT, I will remove the paper backing from the applique shapes and press them in place.

DSCN3800

I will either blanket stitch the edges or maybe straight stitch an outline just scantly inside the edge of the applique.  The maple leaves have so many edges, they will be a challenge to blanket stitch.

Then I think I will echo quilt around each shape or maybe an allover vine design.

So stay tuned…I’ll be back with the finished product next week.

3 comments:

Zemphira ~ Scatter Art. said...

Oh man! I have something very similar to this already cut out and ready to sew. I should work on it... but I'll probably put it off another year!

Barb said...

Can't wait to see it finished.

Marydon said...

What? You don't have to sew them on? That is fabulous! Love it ...

Have a beautiful & safe holiday weekend.
TTFN ~ Marydon

Labels