~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Squaring up 1/2 square triangles with the GO!

I have often said that I don’t mind squaring up blocks.  This is still true, but I think it’s more accurate to say I don’t mind it because I like working with perfectly square blocks.

My current project is one of those where you lay a smaller square over a larger square’s corner, sew across the bias & trim off the 2 corners.  (example here).  So, I decided to go ahead & sew up those pieces as I pieced the top into 1/2 square triangles.  A border maybe?

Here’s the stack

DSCN3988

I decided to see if I could save time & all the little fuzz and use the Value Die with the GO! cutter to square them up.  I marked the die shapes & then marked the bias lines with a sharpie

  DSCN3989

Then I placed one of my pieces so that the corner of the sewn line lined up with my diagonal drawn line

DSCN3990

Pressing my luck, I thought, let’s go for 2!   I lined up the 2nd square on top of the first, but changed the direction of the sewn line.  I can see now that I am just th slightest bit off the drawn line in the top right corner, but I’ll survive :)

DSCN3991

Rolled them through & wah-lah!

DSCN3992 DSCN3993

 

ah, squaring up was never easier!  now, just a jillion more to do…

11 comments:

sewmeow said...

AGAIN...another wonderful idea and tip from you. Thanks sew much.

Jennwith4 said...

Nice!

RagamuffinQuilts said...

Great tip! Thanks for sharing, now I just need to get my Go! :-) Oh Santa.....where are you?

Tracy said...

OMG this is BRILLIANT! I don't just mean clever, but downright brilliant! I'll be smacking my forehead for a while on this one.

My head is spinning before my first cup of coffee. You are The Queen today!

Robin (rsislandcrafts) said...

Absolutely brilliant! I was wondering if there was a simple way to square up all these hst pieces I have left over from making snowballs, etc. I'll have to check the sizes of the blocks I have and see if I can try it too.

RETRO-fabulous said...

I was just wondering if I'd bother squaring up my HSTs...now I have no excuse not to!!! Fantastic!

WoolenSails said...

I love that idea, I am horrible at doing it by hand.

Debbie

Jean said...

That is a great idea. I always square up too because they drive me crazy otherwise.

SewCalGal said...

Neat tip. I'll have to give it a try. I must confess squaring up is a necessary task, but not my favorite in quilting. Using the GO! may change my perspective on squaring up. I'll give this a try soon.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Kathleen said...

Smart!

Ariane said...

Love this!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Labels