~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Notion Reviews & a cute table runner too!

You may remember that I used a pink Sewline mechanical marking pencil to mark the borders on a recent project for the Fair.

I washed this quilt by hand and didn’t realize until it was dry that I had not removed all the pink marks.  They were faint, but I knew they were there.  So I wanted to make sure that the “fail” was on my end & not on the product.

Enter my hidden 9 patch table runner:

DSCN4231

I am not a big “test on swatch of fabric before using on project” kind of gal.  I figure most folks aren’t.  You can (hopefully) see that the marks washed out completely using regular wash & dry cycles in the machine.

I used fabric from 3 different manufacturers in this top, so it was a perfect candidate.  The florals in the center are leftover charms from a Boutique charm pack (moda), the dots along the edge are from Georgia by Pat Sloan (P&B) and the marble is one of our staples from Choice Fabrics.

I quilted the runner, top & bottom, with a variegated thread from Maxi lock.

DSCN4232

BUT WAIT!  I tested another notion on this project too!

Heat Press Batting Together

DSCN4197

We all love using up our scraps.  After all, those little leftover bits cost the same amount as the pieces used in the original project!

This is a great alternative to whip or zigzag stitching your batting scraps!  My main concern was if the batting would look flat (versus my beloved crinkled, antique-y post wash look) where the heat press had been used.  I can’t see any difference in the quilted runner; can’t detect where the line of heat press is located.

Like most small package notions, directions are scarce. 

.. so..mini tute time, here’s how I used it:

First I lay my 2 pieces of batting with an overlap of an inch or so and cut through the layers. 

DSCN4196

This way I have a perfect joint to match up.  I do this same thing when whipstitching, but I cut curved not straight lines.

DSCN4198

No, I cut the length of heat press & positioned it on the batting

DSCN4199

using the lowest setting of cotton as directed.

DSCN4200

As I worked down the seam, I used my fingertips on my non-iron hand to push the 2 pieces together.  Just until they touch, not overlapping the layers.

DSCN4201

Now, the directions didn’t specify whether just one side of the batting was enough of a bond or if you should bond both sides.  I think this would be most dependent on how dense your quilting will be.  I hadn’t decided on design yet, so I bonded both sides of the batting.

DSCN4227

And there you have it!  Now hope that the bag of batting scraps you have can be put to use in new projects!

6 comments:

Tracy said...

I picked up some of this a couple of weeks ago after a customer asked me to try it. THEN one of my online groups started a conversation about it - the result of which was that none of us have used it yet, but would a supah-thin fusible interfacing do the same thing? (At a considerably lower price...)

Thanks for the user-friendly tute. If I can remember after I get home this evening, I'll be linking to it in my group's thread!

sewmeow said...

Great tute, and thanks for sharing about it and the Heat n Press...sounds wonderful.

harleywife57 said...

thanks for sharing this info ! and both your projects are PRETTY !!! very PRETTY !!!

WoolenSails said...

I keep my scrap batting for ornies.
I was making some hearts today and using the pieces to get a quilted look on top.

Debbie

SewCalGal said...

Great insights. Thanks.

I've also evaluated the slimline and found that it does not consistently wash out on various fabrics, thus I recommend pre-test and use with caution when marking quilt tops.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

RagamuffinQuilts said...

Thanks for sharing your testing of these great notions. Love your projects too, always beautiful work!

Labels