~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Friday, October 7, 2011

12 Days of Christmas, yo-yo style

I fell in love with the 12 Days of Christmas panel by Kate Spain the second I saw it. 

27020-14

I was jubilant to find a free pattern for a wall hanging, but uh-oh what’s that in the center?  Applique!  EEK!

I am a lover of applique, or I should say of OTHER’s applique.  I do enjoy the occasional raw edge, fused project.  But hand applique is just not in my love-of-quilting tool kit; maybe one day when life slows down a bit.

Now, applique yo-yo’s?  That’s the perfect kind of applique for me.  Same goes for English paper pieced hexi’s.  No raw edges, no fuss, no muss, no bother!

12days

I used the Large (orange) Clover yo-yo maker for the tree & trunk, and the small & extra small makers for the ornaments.  I used metallic DMC floss to make the ribbons on each ornament.

12days tree

I quilted with Aurifil variegated thread that moves between red, green, cream & just a hint of white (luv luv).

Backed with a crazy quilt Christmas fabric by Debbie Mumm & bound with a candy cane stripe from the same line.

The red dot is from Saltbox Harvest by Deb Strain & the green is Robert Kaufman.  Those are accented by the rich gold marble.

There are so many ways to stretch your quilting muscle.  Don’t shrug off a pattern just because it employs a technique you don’t know or don’t enjoy.  Get out there & make projects your own. 

I am linking up this post with “Can I get a Whoop Whoop?!”  Pop over & see what some very talented quilters whipped up this week!

11 comments:

Jennifer Gail said...

Shannon that turned out really nice:)

Sarah Craig said...

It's beautiful, Shannon! Way to stretch your quilting muscles!! Whoop whoop!!

Mountain Home Quilts said...

You are awesome! That is relly creative- not to mention impressive! It really deserves a Whoop Whoop!
I still have the 12 Days of Christmas kit.....the one that you linked. I'm never going to make it. Seriously. My little bird and trees would come out all weird. Know anyone who'd be interested in the kit?

LynCC said...

Whoop!!! *Love* the yo-y tree :D

harleywife57 said...

Lovely Shannon ! I knew it was yours before I opened the link !!

Carol said...

Great quilt. Love the layout and colors. I agree..I always turn hand applique into raw edge fusible appliques. Life is too short and there are just too many things I want to make.

Jenniffier said...

wow look at all those yo-yos. The tree looks great and so does the quilting.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Sew cute! You did a great job!

sewmeow said...

Love it......very cute!

KatieQ said...

Great job! That's going to be a great Christmas accent. I usually shy away from applique. Maybe, I need to push myself a little.

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

Love the yo-yos! You made it your own and it's great!

Labels