~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Saturday, November 5, 2011

My first scrappy quilt of the fall

Fall is scrappy time for me.  Every year I try to make all my projects from the bins & bins of scraps that have taken over my life during the year.

A couple weeks ago, my 2011 odyssey began…

For over a year I have been staring at a basket of pressed Half Square triangles.  All pressed, ready to square up and BECOME something.  They were left over from this quilt:

 

DSCN4095

 

My scrappy quilts are rarely planned in advance.  I just start sewing & let it “become” something of some size.  It’s risky, but it always has a way of working out.

I squared up my pieces with the Go! cutter so that took like 5 minutes.  (Miss that tute?  Check it out here!)  Then cut some 2.5” squares of the creamy almost solid. and made 4 patches.  Ended up with right at 100.  Nice number, easily divisible Smile  WOO HOO.

Now the layout.  I knew I wanted to go with the solid brown, which is why I turned the brown side of the triangles to the center.  I didn’t want them to fight if they were next to each other.

Played around with it several times and settled on this one.  Aptly named by my friend, Rhonda, oreo (I am a recovering double stuff addict)

DSCN4775DSCN4776

I have Oreo all basted, now to squirrel away some time to get her quilted!

10 comments:

Barb said...

Oh...I love your quilt!

Miri said...

Terrific scrap quilt! Perfect for Fall!

harleywife57 said...

This turned out really fabulous !

KatieQ said...

What a perfectly delicious quilt. I love the bow tie effect.

RagamuffinQuilts said...

Great quilt and what a perfect name! :-D

Sarah Craig said...

Very pretty! I love the color combination!! Whoop whoop!!

love2ragquilt said...

Beautiful! I love scrappy quilts and tend to gravitate to browns too.

Michelle said...

That's really pretty!

madakamom said...

I love that little quilt!
Great design!
hm

sewmeow said...

Looks wonderful and totally planned; not like I think of what a scrappy quilt looks like.

You did it again.....terrific!

Labels