~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Scrappy Pinwheel Quilt Top

It’s been another whirl-wind week, hasn’t it?  I escaped for the guild’s Christmas party-a cookie party at that-on Monday.  So nice to just hang out for an hour or so.  But then the gotta-get-busy-guilt hit & away I rushed. 

But with the rushing comes some finishes & time for pondering the next finishes on my horizon.

I was able to finish up the other half of my Orca Bay string blocks yesterday; that feels good.  It’s amazing how much scraps you can burn through with those oh so fun (and oh so forgiving) strings!

I am wrapping up my scrap busting fall with 3 quilts from my stack-o-pinwheels

Here’s the first one in flimsy form:

scrappy pinwheels

I am going to send this to the long-armer as soon as my Warm & White batting comes in.  That gives me time to decide on/piece a scrappy backing & get the binding made too.  The pinwheels are all scraps, but the setting is off the bolt.  That’s always the way…to use the scraps you have to dig into new fabric.  But it feels good to empty that bin of 3.5” half square triangles.

My other 2 pinwheel quilts will be more themed.  I let this one take the “leftovers” from the other 2 quilts, but I really like it.  Reminds me of antique scrappy quilts.  There are pigs, horses, flags, flowers, bees, race cars, and even some Sugar Pop in there.

Next up for me is to plan the first quarter of class calendars.  Thinking cap time…

9 comments:

Simply Scaife Family said...

Beautiful quilt!

Teresa said...

I love the scrappy pinwheel quilt. Can you tell what fabric (color, etc) you used for the setting blocks. I really like the color! :) (or maybe my monitor just needs calibrating.)

KatieQ said...

I really love the pinwheels. it's even better when you know they were made from scraps.

Sarah Craig said...

It's a beautiful quilt! I love the scrappy look!!

harleywife57 said...

Love it !! It's ' happy ' looking !

Diane said...

Love it! Great way to use up those scraps.

Suzanne said...

A gorgeous pinwheel quilt! I keep saying I'm going to use up scraps making a pinwheel. Maybe yours will inspire me to get busy.

Kim said...

I love scrappy quilts. They are so much fun to make and use up the scraps too. Love your pinwheel quilt. Whoop Whoop!

Nancy Sue said...

I LOVE this quilt. My 4 yr old son is totally into pinwheels. He'd blow on that quilt til he hyperventilates! Awesome quilt!

Labels