~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Oreos are not just cookies-Quilting finish

I had a problem.  I can admit it.  Oreo Double Stuffs.

The expiration dates on those packages were always a source of great laughter in our house.   Ya, right, this package is not going to last the week, why are they giving me 6 months?

In the course of ‘eat better, move more, lose some weight’, I have not had an oreo in months.  I don’t crave them anymore, though I can’t say the same thing for chocolate in general terms.

That’s a great story, I know, but what does it have to do with quilting, right?

 

Last fall, as part of my scrap busting, I took the remaining 1/2 square triangles from a prior project & made this quilt

One Sunday I took my pieces & went to a friend’s to sew for the day.  She named it.  So appropriate; note how the beige sashing is twice the width of the brown that edges it.  And Oreo was it’s name-o.

DSCN4776

There is sat, for 2 months, basted & ready for some quilting love.  Since it had a modern twist with the sashing, I was stumped on quilting, so I just kept stewing on it.

Then, it hit me…embroidery machine quilting!  I already had a 4” design (sorry, I don’t remember where I got it), so I put that in each block (100 hoopings, but totally worth it).  Some straight stitching in the sashing & it was done.  Oh happy day!

Oreooreo3

The beige is not a solid, but you have to get right up on it to see the texture.  It’s from the Aloha Quilt collection, and there is still some left…ON SALE!  The brown is Moda Bella Solid.  As for the other brown & greens, they are a mixture & there may be remaining yardage of some.  Just let me know if you need info on any of those.  I lined the quilt with this bias printed stripe from the Shangri La collection moda/3 Sisters.

oreo2

9 comments:

Barb said...

What a beautiful quilt!

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

They make Double Stuff's in a family size package now !!!! WOO HOO!!!

FabricFascination said...

Very nice, love the name too. I love finishing a UFO.

KatieQ said...

A finished UFO is as much fun as eating a whole bag of Oreos by yourself. Great quilt.

Lisa Cox said...

What type of embroidery machine do you use? I have a Brother and this looks like a great idea to use on my picnic quilt I am making. I have tons of patterns I could use. Did you have to do anything special to make the back of the pattern look so good? Usually on my machine, the back looks kinda sloppy

harleywife57 said...

oh wow ! it is FABULOUS !! I think I need to make a road trip to see it in person !

P. said...

That is really cool! Love the quilting in the blocks, it really sets them off. Cute name too!

Sue Daurio said...

Great quilt, but now ya got me hungry for cookies :)

Alycia said...

Yummy Yummy Yummy!!! Love it and the stripes too!!

Labels