~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Saturday, February 4, 2012

A quilt finish, new binding technique and notions review all wrapped up in 1 post

Is that a title or what?

One of our January classes was the 10 minute block.  My review…it’s not a 10 minute block, but could be with 1 minor change.

I would rather make this pattern using the folded flying geese technique (here) than the folded block technique in the book.  Only difference would be 1 seam across the center of the block, but construction would go so much faster.

So here’s the quilt I made:

10min10min.1

and the back

10min.4

 

I saw this tute last week for a faux piped binding that is machine sewn to the front & back of the quilt.  That is a skill I really want to master.

Having also seen the new Clover Wonder Clips, I thought that maybe “Man, Moment & Machine” could combine for me ( yeah, too much History Channel).

My main problem with stitching the binding by machine on both sides of the quilt is hitting the ditch on the back of the quilt when sewing from the top of the quilt.

The Wonder Clips have notches marking 1/4”, scant 1/4” & 1/2” is all the way to the joint.

wonderclip

but much to my disappointment, my binding was wider than 1/2” with the piping.

wonderclip1

so my best option was to make the overage as equal as possible.  I will say that this did work well.  I found several spots that I had pinned too tight or too loose in advance of placing the clip on.  (No pinning pre-clip is not necessary, I was just waiting for delivery & did it anyway.)

So, you can see, I didn’t do a perfect job, but it is closer than it would have been without.  I need to work on my “in the ditch” quilting skills too, it appears Sad smile

top

10min.2

back

10min.3

I do love the way the quilt came out in the end, and that really is the important part, right?

Pin It

4 comments:

KatieQ said...

Thanks for the link to the tutorial. This looks much more straight forward than the method I used for faux piping,

harleywife57 said...

the 10 minute block would probably take me 10 hours ! :D The clips look very cool !! thanks for the reviews ! and I like your quilt very much !!

Richard Healey said...

Thank you for your link up on my Friday Finishes page. This is a wonderful quilt. I love the blocks they are wonderful.

http://richardquilts.blogspot.com

Sarah Craig said...

Really nice block! I like the design and the colors, too! I'll have to give this one a try. Whoop whoop!!!

Labels