~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Friday, July 6, 2012

Using the GO! cutter for a bright summer wall hanging

Universal Digitizing has several CD collections that will make your GO! applique a breeze.  Each collection contains all the major embroidery machine formats for a selection of GO! dies. 

UND0003UND0004

We used the two above for our wall hanging

GO Summer

We dug into our scrap bin for this entire project.  The background & the backing were trimmings from backings of other projects.  Even the binding (a cute pansy print) was in the scrap bin.

Since I was going semi free form, I GO! cut my pieces, no fusible, and laid them out on the background.  I played with the layout until I was happy & then used a wash out marker & lightly traced where pieces should fall.  Now I am no pro at the embroidery machine, so I KNEW that there was no way that I could “hit my mark”.  I started on the left & worked my way right, getting as close as I could to my original mark.  To keep the pieces from twitching or shifting, I used a glue stick. 

The embroidery design first stitches an outline for the piece.  I then put the glue inside the outline & stuck my applique shape in place.  Then the design does a running stitch to stitch the applique in place before it stitches the final decorative stitch you select.  There are 5 or 6 different decorative stitch designs for each shape.

I added my free form grass & appliqued that in place.  I finished off the piece with free motion quilting in the background (aurifil 50wt), on the butterflies and in the grass & leaves (YLI Fusions 30wt).

Go summer-001

This was a fun, just for me, all from scraps quick project.  I am glad to say, the desire to applique is not as scary as it was a few months ago.  I owe that all to my friend, Eileen.

I am linking up with Sarah- go see everyone else’s projects this week!

Pin It

8 comments:

Kat said...

Good for you on trying the applique! Your piece is beautiful, I love the colors. I have done applique before but only with bigger pieces. I'm hoping to work my way up to tiny flowers one day.

SewCalGal said...

Your wallhanging really looks great.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Pattilou said...

What a fun, eye catching quilt!

Jennifer Gail said...

Pretty Shannon:)

Connie said...

Looks beautiful and I was wondering how those GO embroidery kits worked.

harleywife57 said...

VERY NICE ! love it !!! I don't have an embroidery machine , but , WOW !!!

Quiet Quilter said...

I have an applique quilt that has been waiting for me to get enough courage to start....maybe I'll just start and hope for the best.

Yours is great! Lovely idea, and it didn't cost a thing....kinda....

Sarah Craig said...

Really cute, Shannon!! Whoop whoop!!

Labels