~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Sunday, August 19, 2012

The last in the Orca Bay mini series

It’s been nearly a year in the making…oh my!

As seen previously, I used my Quiltville Orca Bay mystery pieces for several projects instead of the revealed quilt.  I did use more scraps this way, so there is that positive.

My last challenge was to come up with a quilt from the purple string blocks made here.  I will admit, I didn’t really stretch my imagination too much on this quilt, but I do like how it turned out. 

A small baby quilt with alternating squares.  I like that the string blocks are wonky & not all 45 degrees.  I also like that the white is also scrappy.  To make my blocks, I attached a HST to each side of the string block, white on 2 opposite sides & the purple batik on the other sides.  The squares were then about 5” & I just strip pieced them together. 

One last scrappy pat on the back, the batting, border & backing were also in my scrap stash.  the only off the bolt new fabric was the batik & the binding.  GO SCRAP BIN!

Orca Bay purple strings

I free motioned with a YLI variegated purple thread.  I also bound it by machine.  I have not done this in years & now wonder WHY?  Maybe the answer is time, experience & a better machine made this so much less stressful.  I also used monofilament in the bobbin for the binding, so lack of perfection was not so obvious.

Orca Bay purple strings-001

 

Don’t forget, time is drawing near to get your scrap quilt project uploaded to flickr for the Scrap Quilt Challenge!  Check out all the details here: http://fabricsnquilts.blogspot.com/2012/06/scrap-quilt-challenge-2012.html

Pin It

4 comments:

SewCalGal said...

Looks great. Congratulations on using up your purple scraps too!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Barb said...

It is amazing what we can do with our scraps. I am trying so hard not to buy new fabrics (the operative word "try")...love your quilt!

KatieQ said...

I really like the way you used the purple string blocks. The setting looks great.

Connie said...

Beautiful projects and I bet you are glad to use up all of your Orca Bay pieces! I always sew my binding on by machine too.

Labels