Saturday, September 22, 2012

What’s in a boll

So, with the recent trampling of a few branches of the cotton plant, I decided to pull off a green boll & take a peek inside.

It is uncannily similar to a citrus fruit with its sections & wedges (cool).  Since the cotton was still growing, it was tacky/sticky but when pulled apart, you can see it’s fibrous.

DSCN5478

As for the plant, I left the broken branches attached by the small amount of stem.  Good/Bad idea?  I don’t know, but that’s how it is right now.  It’s still flowering & creating new bolls.  I wonder if I should pinch those off, being so late in the season?  Doesn’t seem like they will have a chance to mature (like all the green tomatoes we currently have).

So, that’s this week’s update from the cotton plant-ation (ha!)

4 comments:

quiltsbylee said...

The tomatoes are easy, fried green tomatoes..... or green tomato relish...

Sarah Craig said...

You can also store green tomatoes in a cool dark place, then ripen them as needed by placing them in a brown paper bag with an apple for a day or two.

Aliza said...

I always try to pick our tomatoes green...in this heat, they get ripe so fast that they all go bad at once...

Shannon Ownby said...

Oh yeah, we are southern, fried green tomato folks. But green cotton...on that I am stumped!

Labels