Friday, December 7, 2012

New life for an old loved quilt

Last year I was commissioned to breathe a little life into an antique quilt and today I finished her twin.

I designed this quilt in EQ7.  The inspiration & main fabric in the quilt was Le Petite Poule by American Jane.  I used 2 Layer Cakes and supplemented with other fabrics, like the Moda Bella Solid white, the Moda Old Fashioned Calico (Barbara Brackman).  We also made sure we sprinkled in some of the fabrics that were in the first (tumbler) quilt, like the bandana print, red marble, and roosters.

Sampler.bmp-001

My client did final block placement once all the blocks were finished. 

Sampler.bmp

It’s obvious when you work with artistic folks.  Every detail is debated, and pondered, first collectively, then individually.  It was so much fun.  I wish they quilted and lived closer; we’d have a lot of fun!

To say the binding was worn out would be the biggest understatement of the day:

binding

At least it was easy take off!

The antique quilt was in relatively good shape, especially given how much hand quilting stitches were broken.  The quilt was a checker board, originally red & white, faded to a dark pink red over the years.

antique quilt

I lined the back of the antique quilt with Warm & white batting & then put the top on top (where else would a top go, right?)  The client wanted custom quilting with a different design in each block.  Mostly done free motion, though I did employ the embroidery machine to give me a hand on a few blocks.  I quilted the red & white calico border in the same straight line used on the original quilt, but reversed the angle so the new quilting would help lock in the old.

sampler finished quilting

It seems like a year since I had a finished quilt to show & tell.  I blame that on the scalloped border.  I believe that the person who invented scalloped border was a sadist.  It’s a gorgeous finish and this quilt would not be so beautiful with out it (the original quilt was scalloped, so I was just following the mold already poured), BUT WHEW, what a bunch of work that is!  It is not for the faint of heart or faint of binding.  but it is lovely….

Hope you enjoyed my little show & tell.  I still owe you all a quilt show post from (eek) a month ago.  Lots of pretties to share with you…next week…we’ll call it an early Christmas present instead of an overdue show & tell!

(Don’t forget about our batik sale this weekend!)

I’ve linked up with Sarah this week; go see what everyone else is up to over at Confessions of a Fabric Addict

6 comments:

Kat said...

You did a wonderful job, I'm sure that was a labor of love! I agree with you on the scalloped border. Looks gorgeous but wow, what a project!

love2ragquilt said...

Whoop, whoop. I agree with Kat that it was quite the project. It turned out beautiful. Scalloped borders are beautiful but a lot of work for sure,

harleywife57 said...

OH MY AWESOMENESS !!!! scalloped borders ??? wow ; I agree with you ---- sadists ! It is stunning ! wow !

LynCC said...

Whoop! Whoop! Yeahhhh. . . I've got a scalloped border coming up on the quilt I'm working on right now. Ought to be "fun"! lol

Sarah Craig said...

How beautiful! Am I reading correctly that you used an antique quilt as the backing for your new top? That's brilliant! Whoop whoop!!

Alycia said...

Wow - That is amazing! I love the scallops. What a challenge

Labels