Thursday, January 17, 2013

Scrappy String Path Quilt Finished

Ever since the “Wool Sisters” came for their trunk show last August for their new book, String Quilt Revival, our little group of quilters has been going string quilt crazy.  It has been so fun to see the projects they have come up with.  This one is mine:

String Path-001

It is based on this quilt picture from the Accuquilt web site.  I used the large Drunkard’s Path Go! die.  I must say that the Go! cutter is my best motivation for using my scraps.

I just drafted out the setting on paper & figured what I needed from there.  They do offer the pattern for sale for $2.99, but I was able to wing it.  The large block is a 16 patch.  If you look at it like that, you can probably see it.

I used this brown marble & Moda Bella Solid in white with my strings.  I made 7” string blocks & then ran those through the Go! to get the shape.  My strings are foundation pieced on muslin.  I had many blocks already done, so finished up the new ones like the old.

I am “a washer”.  The first thing I do (after I admire it for a few minutes) after I finish the binding on any quilt is wash it.  I love the crinkle.  I used Quilter’s Dream Oriental Dream batting in this quilt.  Good crinkle .  This pic is after the wash:

String Path

This one is before:

String Path Pre

They both have their advantages, but I figure a quilt will be washed eventually.  I am going to be selfish & be the only one (well, now besides you) to see the before & after.

This is also the first large quilt I quilted on my new Voyager.  I am all about learning skills on this thing at this point.  I had never done either of these quilting designs before.  I can tell you one thing…stitching in the ditch (or trying) is a witch!  I wonder how many years of practice that will take!  But all in all, I did learn some new things & I am pleased with the end result.  That’s what counts.

What did you work on this week?  Are you “a washer”?

I’m linking up with Sarah.  Go see what everyone else worked on this week

8 comments:

beaquilter said...

looks awesome sharon, I do prewash fabrics, but if i give the quilt away i don't wash, but around the house the quilts will get washed eventually:)

harleywife57 said...

The swirl quilting looks wonderful ; are you sure this is your 1st time ???? very nice !I like !!

PatSloan said...

Thank you for sharing on my Show and Tell post, love it!

Michelle said...

That is absolutely gorgeous! I've been wanting to try strings with my Drunkard's Path die, but there are never quite enough hours in the day. :-)

P. said...

Beautiful! The drunkard's path setting makes your strings really sing!

Connie said...

What a beautiful quilt! The strings gave it such a different look!

Sarah Craig said...

Such a pretty quilt, Shannon! And yes, I'm a washer - first thing after that binding is done, it's off for a cold wash and hot dry! It makes the quilt so warm and snuggly!

Whoop whoop!!

LynCC said...

*Love* this! Awesome job using string work in drunkard's patches!

Labels