Friday, July 5, 2013

Blendable Curves-giving your blocks motion

This weekend I’ll be blogging about the 3 classes I took last weekend.  The last thing I needed was more UFO’s, so I have tried to hunker down & finish my projects this week.  The holiday was a blessing in that regard!

First up is Blended Nines.  I took this class from the author, Peggy J. Barkle.  The book is Blendable Curves & is available in the web store here.blendable curves

The process of mixing contrasting blocks was a fun one…especially in that points become an unimportant part of the process.  It’s nice when your points don’t meet & that’s the way it’s SUPPOSED to be!

Peggy felt I didn’t have enough contrast in my fabrics, but I'm ok with it.  I can still see the form of the design (but also see how it could pop more).  She also said that every quilt has a story & she was not a proponent of ripping out.  Whatever happens is just part of that quilt’s story.  And so it is with my color choices…

blended nines

This quilt is made from 48 nine patch blocks.  It’s not a big quilt, but hey, babies need warmth too. 

I really wanted to make my curves more dramatic, though Peggy kept reminding me that would make my process harder. 

blended nines-001

So I think I will have to put a bucket list project out there to make bigger blocks & try deeper curves (like an apple core).  I think it would really give it movement.  Perhaps if I don’t use a nine patch, but a wide strip in the center of the block it would be easier to manipulate.   So here I am, already planning my next UFO…

4 comments:

Sarah Craig said...

Hey, you're already planning your next WIP, not UFO!! I like your quilt - the curves really do make it move! Whoop whoop!

Quilting Nonnie said...

Fantastic! The curves are so much fun. I may have to invest in the book and add to my miles long to-do list!

FiberAntics said...

I like your quilt! Every block doesn't have to be a rock star. Sounds like it was a fun class.

FiberAntics said...

I like your quilt! Every block doesn't have to be a rock star. Sounds like it was a fun class.

Labels