Monday, September 30, 2013

5 years in the making–An epic finish

Where were you in 2008?  How many quilts have you finished since then?  How much have you learned about quilting & life since then?

I am blessed to have a very small group of online friends that have been in my life for about 8 years.  It’s hard to believe I’ve “known” them that long & only met 1 in person, but alas, it’s true.  We met when I was very new to quilting (been quilting only about a year), and they’ve watched me grow as a quilter, open my quilt shop, and live my dream.

In 2008 we swapped blocks.  These blocks, just like all these women, meant a lot to me.  As a result, I decided that the quilt from our swapped blocks deserved to be hand quilted.  5 years later, I am finally finished.

 

swapsampler

yes, oops, I hung it upside down (note the heart block)

I can’t tell you how much I learned about hand quilting, and quilting in general, since I started this quilt. This quilt was cast aside for other projects for months & years at a time. It’s been with me through many trials & triumphs in my life, just as the friends that contributed to it have been right there with & for me.

swapsampler-001

So, I dedicate this quilt to all my QCG peeps, whether you swapped a block or not.

Not many quilts I make are decidedly MINE, but there is no question about this one.  It will be on display in the shop, so come on by and take a looky-loo!

Some shots from the back:

  swapsampler-002swapsampler-003swapsampler-004

I’ve been asked if I was un-motivated by the hand quilting-if that’s why it took so long & so many breaks.  No.  That’s not it at all.  I only dedicate evening TV time to hand work.  In that same 5 years, as the hand quilting was cast aside, I have worked on other hand work, including those yo-yo’s.  And I am so jazzed over this finish, I am chomping at the bit to get back to those yo-yo’s!  I have been marking the yo-yo strips for hand piecing & then the hand quilting will begin on that one.  More on that project as it progresses!

2 comments:

Michele T said...

Looks great!!! Thanks for sharing!

harleywife57 said...

WOW !!! is this gorgeous !! great work !!

Labels