Friday, September 20, 2013

Cowgirl Up Twin Disappearing 9 Patch Quilt

I learned the Disappearing Nine Patch pattern from Rachel over at p.s. I quilt.  She still has the tutorial available, so while you are there, check out all her free goodies & sew-a-longs.

There are so many design options with this pattern.  I set my nine patch up like this:

Fullscreen capture 9202013 85140 AM.bmp 

Teal: boot print

Black: stitching print

Gray:  Cowgirl Up

In planning, you know that the corner squares will remain whole, the center square will be cut into quarters (small squares), and the middle squares (those that make the tips of the +) will become rectangles).  It takes some pre planning to get just the effect you want, but totally worth the time.

Cowgirl Up

I used 6.5” squares in my nine patch, so this quilt is only 20 blocks.

I quilted in big loopy’s to mimic a lasso.

cowgirl up backing

This great Cowgirl Up fabric is designed by Simon & Kabuki for Quilting Treasures & is available at Fabrics N Quilts (right here).

The beautiful backing (great for an ocean quilt too) is from Blank Quilting and available here.

2 comments:

SiliOleGma said...

Remember some blocks get turned too, so might be a factor in planning placement.

Rosa said...

Beautiful!

Labels