Friday, December 13, 2013

My guilty quilty pleasure-Crumb Blocks

I generate a lot of scraps.  A lot of LITTLE scraps.

crumb basket

Trying to keep them under control, I like to make crumb blocks.  Let there be no mistake, this harvest basket is NOT all encompassing of my little scraps.  I just work a handful in at a time.  I think this keeps the blocks from getting boring & repeating fabrics.  I want a fabric explosion in my blocks.

I even take all the cut offs from making binding & piece them with other fabrics from other bindings making nice scrappy squares (right side of basket above).

This go round, I am cutting them 4.5”  I don’t know exactly what I am going to do with them yet, but that will come to me.  One day.  My thought is that I would insert them into a traditional block where a 4.5” square is used.  We’ll see.

crumb blocks

Do you keep (and USE) your tidbits?

3 comments:

Design Originals by KC said...

I save all I can... no crumb blocks yet but I have only made 11 quilts and kept all my leftovers for when I organize my scraps officially... even been talking to a friend about it! lol Love your crumb blocks :) Kathi

Andrea said...

I like that scrappy happy look a ton! Yes I save everything too, as long as it measures at least 2 inches on each side!
I am happy to have just discovered your blog!
Andrea, quilting in Minnesota

Bebesboutique said...

I love making crumb blocks. To me it is relaxing plus I am making new fabric.

Labels