Tuesday, January 21, 2014

a wedding remembered- - in quilts

These are not my oldest UFO’s but they are/WERE among them.

My cousin was married in 2004.  Though I didn’t know her at the time, I can tell you it was a great party.  When we did meet in 2010, she told me about these squares from her reception & maybe I could do something with them.  They had just sat at her place for 6 years, so she figured it was progress.

wedding squares quilt-005

Little did we know, they would sit here almost another 3 1/2 years.

At her reception she put out 200 or more 4” squares of muslin backed with freezer paper.  She asked her guests to draw a snowman and/or write a sentiment on the squares.  I received over 160 squares.  This was such a great idea!  What a way to really capture the day and keep it close!

Since so many of the squares were utilized right up to the edge, I had no choice but to raw edge applique.  To make sure the fabric behind the applique didn’t show, I fused a solid white square to the back of the muslin squares before I did the blanket stitching.

wedding squares quilt-004

Not knowing the type of pen used, I didn’t want to make a quilt that would require laundering.  With so many squares, that meant 2 wall hangings.  This works out pretty good, since they have 2 kids (see, waiting pays off!).  I separated the written sentiments out & figured the layout of the snowmen.  It was a blessing that the settings I chose used every single square.  Serendipity!  I used a panel in the red quilt which really tied it all together.

wedding squares quilt

Each quilt has a hanging sleeve & I put a Hang it Dang it hanger in the box too.  Since the 10 year anniversary is next month, this should make for a nice gift Smile.  I just hope they have wall space!

wedding squares quilt-001wedding squares quilt-002wedding squares quilt-003

My cousin nearly lost her life last year to a rare blood disorder, eosinophilia.  She is still fighting through her rehab and is so brave to work so hard.  She’s a great mom, wife, and child of God.  She is also my living example of the power of prayer. 

If you decide to use this idea, here are my tips: 

    1. Use archival pens (Micron, etc.)  .05 size gives a good line for this type of application.  Provide lots of colors.
    2. Use a good quality solid fabric.  Test the pens on the fabric.  Does it wash well after marking?
    3. Draw a 1/2” seam allowance on your squares & ask folks to stay within the line.  This gives you room to square it up later & not lose any of the image.  AND you can incorporate the squares via patchwork and not applique.
    4. Giving a theme is a great idea

2 comments:

harleywife57 said...

Another WOW ! Every time I think you have outdone yourself ; you post another super project . This is so awesome that WOW is all I can come up with ! And the story .......

Design Originals by KC said...

LOVE how you used those 4" squares and appliqued them onto fabric then sewed them on the quilt! Have a serendipidous quilt in my future... hope it turns out as nice as these 2 are! Thanks for sharing :) glad that ufo is done huh! lol What an accomplishment for you! Kathi

Labels