Friday, June 6, 2014

#SummerScrapBlock–Quilting from what you have

This week I was testing a block for Quiltmaker’s 100 Blocks’ next edition and the block made 3x6” Flying Geese units with the cutaway corners (tute here), leaving me nice big scraps of triangles.  I immediately ran those back through to make half square triangle units.  I knew they would square up to 2.5”, and the did!

I decided to make up a block right then instead of toss them in the scrap bin.

QM Scrap Block

I only had to make 4 additional half square units and cut the border strips.  Wa-lah, a 12” block!

Our Facebook Scrap Quilt Challenge group is doing a #summerscrapblock share-a-thon.  Pop over & share your fave free scrap block pattern link & your sample block.

2 comments:

Barb said...

That was smart to make use of the half square triangles....and no scraps...

Connie said...

Great block and much better than throwing the scraps in the bin!

Labels