Our classroom is getting a facelift!
We got bored during the recent power outage, so we pulled 98.732% (rough estimate) of the furniture out of the room & are giving the floor a pretty new look.
The foam/rubber mats were nice on the back & knees, but they didn’t stay flat. Over the 2 years they were down, I had to cut out the puzzle piece sections to get them to lay flat. I guess I mushed them down & stretched them out. Whatever the reason, they are OUT!
This is the only pic of the mats. My little dog LOVES to be hot (note, she is wearing a coat!). We have to put the heaters on tables to keep her from cuddling them.
Last year, while thumbing magazines in a doctor’s waiting room, I saw this cute little DIY ad from Dutch Boy. I did what most folks would do…whipped out my cell phone camera…
Fast forward to now, I did a search & found this tute which is pretty similar, but also encompassing a base coat of paint (which the ad didn’t do). http://www.lovestitched.com/my-tutorial/how-to-paint-tile-floors-a-tutorial/
It looked like her tile was ceramic, mine was not, but had been primed before, so I knew the paint would work.
I decided to opt against the Epoxy style of product due to the potential smell and that it’s freezing cold outside. I am not opening the doors this time of year (unless the power goes out again). I am using Glidden’s Porch & Floor (like the Dutch Boy product) mainly because it is easier to find here in my neck of the woods.
So, I cleaned the floor like a mad woman. Bleach, hands & knees, scrub brush…I felt like Cinderella before the ball.
Then I primed- 2 coats with this:
and now we have the first coat of this suede-ish brown. It will be a nice dark chocolate when all the coats are on.
But you know me…I’m not going with just a brown floor. Oh NO! I’ll be putting some awesome stripes on this bad boy before it’s done!