Saturday, May 30, 2015

Time Saving Scrap Quilting

We have all made flying geese or snowball blocks where we have the waste triangles. 


Have you ever thought to seam those up before you press the finished block?  Send those units through the machine again, leaving a 1/2” allowance between your (intentional) diagonal seam.  This will give you a 1/4” allowance for both your pieces.

Cut the units apart after you press your flying geese unit (so you don’t distort).  Just a nice straight cut between your seams.

Now you have a start on a new quilt, or a pieced border, backing, pillow or doll quilt.  You’ll want to square up, since you’ve eyeballed the diagonal line (I don’t mark mine, since I square up all my HST’s).  This one will make a cool pinwheel!

This is a sneak peek of my Skipper quilt that is from Vintage Vibe.  Hope to see you in the shop this summer for the Trunk Show of this awesome book.  Not only will we have the book samples to show you, but also our creations & kits of our samples too.  It’s just part of our Row by Row Experience!

3 comments:

SHALEEN said...

I have about 5 mini quilts using this method.

FiberAntics said...

Yup, yup, yup. I have a tissue box next to my machine that I stuff these extra HST in. One of these days it will become a scrappy something.

Sarah Craig said...

I do this all the time - it's a great way to save those little scrappy bits!

Labels