Saturday, June 13, 2015

Scrap Quilt Challenge Kickoff just a couple weeks away

Each summer through fall, Fabrics N Quilts is excited to host the Scrap Quilt Challenge.  If you've not heard of the Challenge, let me tell you the most important thing is do not to overthink it.

It is EASY to participate in the Scrap Quilt Challenge and the prizes are awesome.  Here's the quick version of the rules.  {They don't differ year to year except for a little tweaking.}

Scrap Quilt Challenge Guidelines: 
  • The Challenge kicks off on July 1st each year.  You'll want to bookmark that post, as you'll probably want to share it & refer back to it as you finish your quilts.
  • 45” x 60” minimum size
  • Entries must be completed quilts (patchwork, applique, rag quilt are all fine. It just must be a completed project)
  • Entries must be obviously scrappy.  For our challenge, prematched, precut (jelly roll and charm pack, for example) projects are not the intent and won't qualify for prizes.
  • Entries should have been completed in the last year (since last year’s challenge ended on October 15, 2014).
  • Upload a picture of your quilt & tell its story to the Flickr pool (will be announced on July 1) by midnight, October 15, 2015.
That's it.  Really.  I promise.  

We are celebrating a few things via our challenge.  
1. Using what we have and clearing the actual and mental clutter that comes from the overflowing scrap bins.
2. It feels good to have a "finish".
3. Everyone deserves a pat on the back & a community where they can share their passion. (Join our Facebook Group!)

Fabrics N Quilts is happy to partner with some of the best folks in the quilting industry each year and offer you some swag to help you celebrate your finish.  All winners are chosen at random.  We have already received the giveaway goodies from our friends at Aurifil, Quilters Dream Batting, Studio E Fabrics, Moda Fabrics, and Creative Grids Rulers.  I am keeping it all locked up tight so it's ready to ship your way in October. We'll have more great sponsors to tell you about next time, and all of the sponsors will be highlighted in our big kickoff post on July 1st.

Throughout the Scrap Quilt Challenge months (July-October), I will highlight our sponsors & have extra giveaways too, so we can keep the fun and inspiration rolling.

And my favorite part is the tutorials!  Last year we partnered with 4 awesome designers to bring you a scrappy block tutorial on the first of each month.  We will again have these tutorials-the first from Joan Ford of Scraptherapy/Hummingbird Highway, but also a little mystery scrappy quilt designed by me!  It will be a beginner level quilt with not teenie pieces and will be no more than 4 tutorials long.  This will be a quilt you could potentially finish in time to enter in the Challenge.  We all have schedule demands, so remember to have fun & not stress about entering it this year.  There is always next year! 

So, what should you do now for the Scrap Quilt Challenge?
*have an organization day.  Invite a friend, make a pot of coffee, get some chocolate, & pick a color or size to whittle out of your stash of scraps.
*never forget we quilt for fun.  Don't stress about the Challenge.  It's not allowed.  Always remember to enjoy the process (stop and smell the roses/pet the fabric).

Leave us a comment & share what you are planning, contemplating, or wishing during this 2015 Challenge Season!

12 comments:

Patricia Waters said...

Can't wait to start.

Sarah Craig said...

I'm just excited that I've already got two quilts that qualify for the Challenge! I'm hoping to dig through my scraps and make a few more, though - it would be wonderful to reduce my scrap stash at home.... not to mention the one at church! And speaking of church, we're working on some Charming Stars blocks this week to make quilts for our Sr. High mission team to take on their fall mission trip! They'll be giving them out to the people they minister to while on mission...

barbara woods said...

Can you enter 2?

Julianne said...

I had so much fun with this challenge last year, luckily though I think I have a couple of quilts that qualify already! Score! Looking forward to seeing all the scrapalicious deliciousness!!

ecarp said...

I want to enter the challenge but I don't want to add another project right now. Working on a few scrappies but probably will not be done in time. I think I will wait until next year. Looking forward to my first challenge.

ecarp said...

I want to enter the challenge but don't want to add another project right now. Working on a few scrappies but I doubt they will be finished in time. Better to wait until next time. Looking to begin my first challenge.

Melissa said...

I love making scrap quilts and can't wait to start!

Missy Shay said...

This sounds like a lot of fun!

Sheila said...

I love scrap quilts and have enjoyed your Scrap Quilt Challenge each year. Pictures of scrap quilts made by others in linkups inspire me. I learn from tutorials. Prizes make it fun! Thank you for hosting this scrap challenge again.

Wendy said...

I am making a scrap quilt now and just about to finnish
I am using red, white and blue fabrics from my stash.
I will post a picture somehow--I have never posted a picture
before.

Shannon Ownby said...

No problem Wendy! If you have trouble we can always post for you.

Karen said...

I have lots and lots of scraps. So I guess I need to take your challenge. I already have a pattern picked out.

Labels